EHI-04 Solved Assignment 2018-19
India: From 16th to Mid-18th Century
Course Code: EHI-04
Assignment Code: EHI-04/AST/TMA/2018-19
Total Marks: 100
Note: All questions are compulsory. Marks are indicated against each question.
Section 1: Answer each question in about 500 words.
1. How did Bairam Khan deal with the initial challenges to his power? Discuss the 20
decline in Bairam Khan’s power after the second battle of Panipat.
Critically examine the rise of the Maratha power in the seventeenth century. Comment
on M.G. Ranade’s idea of ‘Maharashtra Dharma’.
2. Give a brief account of Mughal theory of sovereignty. To what extent it was 20
influenced by Turco-Mongol traditions?
Trace the evolution of architectural forms under Jahangir and Shahjahan.
Section 2: Answer each question in about 250 words.
3. Discuss the nature of Afghan polity. In what ways did the Afghan polity differ 12
from the Turkish polity?
Examine the political formations in south India in the 16th century with special
reference to the emergence of the Nayak kingdoms.
4. Give a brief account of Akbar’s Rajput policy. 12
Discuss the central administrative structure of the Mughals.
5. Write a note on Mughal jagir system. 12
Who were zamindars? Discuss their rights and perquisites.
6. Write a note on village servants (balutedars) in the Deccan. 12
Discuss briefly European influence on Mughal paintings.
Section 3: Answer in about 100 words each.
7. Write short notes on any two of the following: 6 + 6
i) Persian Sources for the study of Mughal India
iv) Islamic Revivalist Movement in the Eighteenth Century