BEGLA-136 English at the Workplace Solved Assignment 2019-2020
Course Code: BEGLA-136
Max. Marks: 100
BEGLA-136 English Solved Assignment 2019-20
|Service Type||Solved Assignment (Soft copy/PDF)|
|Semester||2019-2020 Course: BA(English)|
|Short Name||BEGLA-136 (ENGLISH)|
|Product||Assignment of BAG(English) 2019-2020 (IGNOU)|
|Submission Date||For the students enrolled in July 2019- 30th April 2020
For the students enrolled in January 2020- 31st October 2020
Answer all questions
1. Read the following passage and answer the questions below in complete sentences:
There are two pillars of the cultural value system – loyalty to family and loyalty to
community. One should not be in isolation to the other, because, successful societies are
those which combine both harmoniously. As an Indian, I am proud to be part of a culture
which has deep-rooted family values. We have tremendous loyalty to the family. We
believe: Mathru devo bhava – mother is God, and pithru devo bhava – father is God. This
is the essence of Indian values and one of our key strengths. Unfortunately, our attitude
towards family life is not reflected in our attitude towards community behavior. The
primary difference between the West and us is that, there, people have a much better
societal orientation. They care more for the society than we do. Further, they generally
sacrifice more for the society than us. This is where we need to learn from the West. In
the West, there is respect for the public good. For instance, parks free of litter, clean
streets, public toilets free of graffiti – all these are instances of care for the public good.
On the contrary, in India, we keep our houses clean and water our gardens everyday –
but, when we go to a park, we do not think twice before littering the place. Another
interesting attribute, which we Indians can learn from the West, is their accountability.
Irrespective of your position, in the West, you are held accountable for what you do.
However, in India, the more ‘important’ you are, the less answerable you are. Dignity of
labour is an integral part of the Western value system. In the West, each person is proud
about his or her labour that raises honest sweat. On the other hand, in India, we tend to
overlook the significance of those who are not in professional jobs.
(Extract from a speech by N. R. Narayana Murthy)_
1. According to the speaker, what is the mark of a successful society? (2)
2. What does this passage identify as the greatest strength of the Indian cultural value
3. This passage focuses on one primary difference between Indians and people in the
West. Briefly explain this difference. (2)
4. According to the speaker, what lessons can Indians learn from Western society?
(Write your answer in about 5 sentences) (4)
5. Use the following in sentences of your own:
a. harmonious b. integral c. attribute d. accountable e. deep-rooted
2. Complete the following sentences using the correct form of the word in brackets:
a) The first meeting of the committee was __________ (hold) yesterday.
b) He ____________ all the money and left. (collect)
c) I need these visuals for the presentation I am __________ (prepare)
d) Several companies are ready _________ (hire) staff for their projects.
e) The retiring teacher _______ (give) a fond farewell by the students yesterday.
f) The ancient language Pali is ______ (speak) only by a few scholars.
g) He is very pleased because he has ___________ (pass) the exam.
h) He took the ________ (wound) man to the hospital
i) The doctor looked at the _______ (swell) ankle.
j) Sania has a chance of _________ (win) the final match (2×10 =20)
3. You are a freelance editor with several years of work experience. Write an application
for the position of sub-editor in a reputed publishing company. (15)
4. Prepare a short CV (Curriculum Vitae) clearly mentioning your career history, skills,
achievements and any other details.
5. You are planning to appear for an interview for the position of business analyst in a
firm. Write out ten questions you expect to be asked and your answers to these
6. As senior manager of your office, write a memo to your office staff calling them for a
meeting to discuss customer complaints. (10)
7. Prepare an outline of a presentation on any one of the following: (10)
i) Globalization and its impact on the Indian economy.
ii) India in the 21st Century.
BEGLA-136, BEGLA 136, BEGLA136