MHI-10 Solved Assignment 2018-19
MHI-10: URBANISATION IN INDIA
Course Code: MHI-10
Assignment Code: MHI-010/AST/ TMA/2018-19
Total Marks: 100
Note: Attempt any five questions. The assignment is divided into two Sections ‘A’ and ‘B’.
You have to attempt at least two questions from each section in about 500 words
each. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Trace the development of the studies of Harappan cities since they were first 20
2. What kind of society do we get from the houses at Mohenjodaro? 20
3. What was the perception of the spaces around the cities in the early Indian literature? 20
4. Narrate the saga of the emergence of the city of Vijayanagara in the the 15th century. 20
5. Write short notes on any two of the following. Answer in about 250 words each. 10+10
a) Burial Practices of the Harappans
c) Early Medieval Port Cities
6. Critically examine the growth of Poona as an urban centre in the eighteenth century. 20
7. Trace the emergence of Cochin as a port and a political capital. 20
8. Describe the emergence of canal colonies. What was its impact? How did it alter the 20
9. What were the urban pressures that emerged in the immediate post-independence 20
decades, and how were they met?
10. Write short notes on any two of the following. Answer in about 250 words each. 10+10
b) European Merchant Companies and the Towns of the Kachchh-Gujarat Region
d) Improvement Trusts