MHI-05 Solved Assignment 2018-19
MHI-05: HISTORY OF INDIAN ECONOMY
Course Code: MHI-05
Assignment Code: MHI-05/AST/ TMA/2018-19
Total Marks: 100
Note: Attempt any five questions. The assignment is divided into two Sections ‘A’ and ‘B’.
You have to attempt at least two questions from each section in about 500 words
each. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Discuss the new historiographical trends pertaining to the study of colonial economy. 20
2. Locate cultures contemporary with the Harappan civilisation. Examine the possibilities 20
of the existence of chiefdoms in the neolithic-chalcolithic cultures in the subcontinent.
3. Critically analyse various forms of organisation of craft production in north India 20
during the 6-13th centuries.
4. Examine various approaches to the study of medieval towns. 20
5. Write short notes on any two of the following. Answer in about 250 words each. 10+10
i) Gordon Childe’s identification markers of an early city
ii) Irrigation in the Pallava and Pandaya regions, 6-10th centuries
iii) Khwud Kasht and Pai Kasht
iv) Building construction in the medieval period
6. Examine the growth of business practices in the medieval period. 20
7. Discuss the communication network in the northern part of India during the 20
8. Do you agree with a view that the early colonial policy was governed by commercial 20
rather than conservation needs? Comment.
9. Discuss early census. What were the limitations of the data in early colonial censuses? 20
10. Write short notes on any two of the following. Answer in about 250 words each. 10+10
i) Persian Wheel
ii) Private European Merchants
iii) Permanent Settlement
iv) Debates over Agricultural Statistics