MFN-002 Nutritional Biochemistry
Solved Assignment 2021-2022
Nutritional Biochemistry (TMA-2)
Course Code: MFN-002
Assignment Code: MFN-002/AST-1/TMA-1 /21-22
Last Date of Submission: 30th November, 2021
MFN-002 Solved Assignment 2021-2022
|Service Type||Solved Assignment (Soft copy/PDF)|
|Course||Master of Science in Dietetics and Food Service Management|
|Semester||2021-2022 Course: M.Sc. (DFSM)|
|Session||July 2021 session|
|Assignment Code||MFN-002/AST-1/TMA-1 /21-22|
|Product||Assignment of M.Sc. (DFSM) 2021-2022 (IGNOU)|
There are eight questions in this part. Answer all questions.
1. a) What is simple sugar? Give its general formula.
b) List any two chemical properties of the following:
c) Explain briefly why sucrose cannot have α and ß forms?
2. a) Differentiate between saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. Give one example each of
saturated, monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fatty acids.
b) What are vitamins? List a few characteristics which all vitamins possess.
c) What is the significance of transaminase reaction?
3. a) Discuss the role of calcium in our body. Highlight the significance of calcium as a
b) Describe the metabolic role of the iron in our body.
c) Illustrate and explain the active transport of glucose.
4. Illustrate the following by giving enzyme names involved in the reactions:
a) Citric acid cycle (5)
b) ß-oxidation of fatty acid
5. a) What is hydrogenation? What are the harmful effects of hydrogenation?
b) Discuss the role of carnitine in transfer of fatty acids.
c) What are the various enzymes involved in the regulation of glycogenolysis?
6. a) Explain the metabolism of LDL with the help of a diagram.
b) Briefly explain the general mechanism of signal generation.
7. a) What is the metabolic significance of HMP Pathway?
b) What do you understand by the term ‘digestion’? Give the digestion of proteins in our
c) What is the metabolic fate of amino acids after the removal of α-amino group? (2)
8. a) What do you understand by the term “inborn errors of metabolism”? Discuss its
b) Comment on the following statements
i) In Alcaptonuria the urine becomes dark in colour upon standing.
ii) MSUD is also known as branched chain ketonuria.
iii) Tay -sach’s disease is caused by abnormal gene.
c) What is Niemann-Pick Disease?
Section B – OTQ (Objective Type Questions) (20 Marks)
3. a) Define the following: (5)
iii) Anaplerotic reactions
iv) Type IIb hyperlipoproteinemia
b) Give one word for the following: (5)
vi) Name any one enzyme whose concentration increases during:
a) Myocardial Infarction
b) Acute Pancreatitis
c) Renal Tubular Necrosis
vii) Name defective enzymes of the following:
b) Gaucher’s disease
4. a) Describe the significance/role of following (10)
i) Conversion of IMP to AMP and GMP
ii) Synthesis of Orotic acid
iii) Oxygen Free Radicals
iv) G Protein-Coupled Receptor (GPCR)
v) Fight or Flight Response
MFN-002, MFN 002, MFN002, MFN-02, MFN02, MFN 02, MFN-2, MFN2, MFN 2