EHI-06 Solved Assignment 2018-19
History of China and Japan (1840-1949)
Course Code: EHI-06
Assignment Code : EHI-6/AST/TMA/2018-19
Total Marks: 100
Note: All questions are compulsory. Marks are indicated against each question.
Section 1: Answer each question in about 500 words.
1. What was the Chinese response to Western Imperialism in the second 20
half of the 19th century?
Explain the emergence of the New Culture movement in China after
the Revolution of 1911. What was the role of the intellectuals in this movement?
2. Discuss the main features of Meiji constitution. 20
Account for the rise of militarism in Japan in the Inter-War period.
Section 2: Answer each question in about 250 words.
3. Analyse the nature and impact of Taiping Rebellion. 12
Discuss in brief different schools of philosophical thought that existed in
China during the classical period.
4. Write a note on the emergence of the Chinese bourgeoisie as a social force. 12
Discuss the characteristics of the Kiangsi Soviet Republic in China.
5. Explain the various ideologies behind the expansionist policy of Japan. 12
Trace the development of Buddhism in Japan.
6. Briefly discuss the economic development in Japan after the First World War. 12
Analyse in brief the nature of political democracy in Japan after the First World War.
Section 3: Answer in about 100 words each.
7. Write short notes on any two of the following: 6 + 6
i) Religion in Classical China
ii) Boxer Rebellion
iii) People’s Rights Movement in Japan
iv) The Korean Question.