CHE-02 Solved Assignment 2019
Tutor Marked Assignment
CHE-02: INORGANIC CHEMISTRY
Elective Course in Chemistry
Course Code: CHE-02
Assignment Code: CHE-02/TMA/2019
Maximum Marks: 100
|Title Name||CHE-02 CHEMISTRY Solved Assignment 2018-19|
|Service Type||Solved Assignment (Soft copy/PDF)|
|Course||BSC (CHEMISTRY) CHE|
|Semester||2018-2019 Course: BSC (CHEMISTRY) CHE|
|Short Name||CHE-02 (ENGLISH)|
|Product||Assignment of BSC (CHEMISTRY) 2018-2019 (IGNOU)|
|Submission Date||Valid from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019|
1. a) Explain why all the periods in the periodic table do not have the same number of elements
b) Explain the variation in ionization energy across the elements of period 2 in the periodic
2. a) What is effective nuclear charge? What is its role in explaining the size of atoms? (5)
b) What is hydrogen bonding? Differentiate between intermolecular and intramolecular
3. a) Explain the trends in the thermal stability of the oxosalts of alkali and alkaline earth
b) Complete the following reactions and balance them: (5)
(i) B + H2SO4 (concentrated)
(ii) LiBH4 + H2O
4 a) Why is borazine called “inorganic benzene”? Explain. (5)
b) Compare the electronic structure of N atom in trimethylamine and trisilylamine. (5)
5. a) Write the structures of pyrosilicates and chain silicates. (5)
b) Describe the principle of manufacture of sulphuric acid by contact process. What are the
limitations of this process and how are these overcome?
6. a) Explain the paramagnetic nature of oxygen molecule using molecular orbital theory. (5)
b) What were the difficulties in the preparation of fluorine? Explain how these difficulties
7. a) Name the oxoacids of halogens. How does the strength of oxoacids vary with the change
in the oxidation state of halogens and down the group? Explain.
b) Why are the fluorides and oxides of Kr, Xe and Rn the only binary compounds of the
noble gases? Why similar compounds are not formed by He and Ne?
8. a) What is the importance of beneficiation of ores? List various methods used for the same. (5)
b) When electrons are added in the 6s orbital, what happens to the energy level of the 5d
orbitals? As a result after the electron enters 5d orbitals in the lanthanum, in which orbital
does the next electron enter in cerium?
9. a) Even though actinides show similar variations in magnetic properties as that of
lanthanides, their magnetic properties are more complicated. Explain.
b) Explain the experimental facts that cannot be explained by the simple model of Werner’s
10. a) How can one decide whether the high spin or the low spin configuration of a metal
complex will be more stable? Elaborate.
b) Why it is advisable to always reduce the minerals in order to extract metals from them?
Give the specific properties of magnalium.