BEGLA-137 Language through Literature Solved Question Paper December 2021
Language through Literature
Course Code: BEGLA-137
BEGLA-137 Solved Question Paper December 2021
|Service Type||Solved Question Paper (Soft copy/PDF)|
|Product||Solved Question Paper (IGNOU)|
B. A. GENERAL (BAG)
BEGLA-137 : LANGUAGE THROUGH LITERATURE
Time : 3 Hours Maximum Marks : 100
Note : Attempt all questions.
Read the following poem and answer the questions that follow :
1. A cardboard shows me how it was When the two girl cousins went paddling, Each one holding one of my mother’s hands And she the big girl–some twenty years or so. All three stood still to smile through their hair At the uncle with the camera. A sweet face, My mother’s, that was before I was born And the sea, which appears to have changed less,
Washed their terribly transient feet. Some twenty-thirty years later She’d laught at the snapshot. “See betty and Dolly”, She’d say and look how they
“Dressed us for the beach” The sea holiday Was her past, mine is her daughter Both wry with the laboured ease of loss.
(i) Who were the three persons in the photograph and who took the photograph ? 2
(ii) What do you understand by transient feet ?
(iii) Comment on the mood/attitude of the poet. 2
(iv) Explain, sea ….. have changed less. 2
(v) Suggest an appropriate title. 2
2. Write short notes in about 150 words each on any two of the following : 10×2=20
3. Identify and explain the figure of speech in the following sentences : 10
(i) Walter wondered where winnie was.
(ii) I have told you to stop a thousand times.
(iii) Sometimes you have to spend money to save it.
(iv) The water danced across my window.
(v) That story is music to my ears.
4. Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions : 10
(i) I was amazed ________ her brilliant performance.
(ii) They appealed ________ us for help.
(iii) I don’t think we can bank ________ himthis time.
(iv) Please bear ________ me until I finish this work.
(v) We want the best candidate to be appointed ________ this post.
(vi) He will always remain grateful ________ his teachers.
(vii) Food was rationed ________ the war.
(viii)He divided his property ________ two sons.
(ix) He comes ________ a royal family.
(x) He is tall ________ black hair and brown eyes.
5. Make sentences with the following phrasal verbs : 2×5=10
(i) Put off
(ii) Call off
(iii) Look into
(iv) Break in
(v) Do away with
6. (a) Add prefixes or suffixes to form nouns : 1×5=5
(b) Fill in the blanks with suitable articles : 1×5=5
________ men in ________ black, worn out coat, hobbled across ________ street and stood in front of ________ open door fromwhich presently ________ gentle, old lady came out.
7. (a) Correct the following sentences : 1×5=5
(i) The food is indelible.
(ii) His performance was best than the others.
(iii) She solved the problem before the others even understood it.
(iv) The manager sued his subordinate for deformation.
(v) The temperature of Chennai is hotter than Delhi.
(b) Fill in the blanks with correct form of words given in the brackets : 1×5=5
(i) Rohan’s car ________ (steal) by a thief.
(ii) Rakesh ________ (slice) the tomatoes with a knife.
(iii) The wooden chair was ________ (lay) in the corner of the room.
(iv) Her parents were not ________ (concern) about her result.
(v) The management has ________ (agree) to all demands of the employees.
8. Write a short note on ‘Imagery’ in about 150 words. 10
9. Define the following giving suitable examples : 2×5=10