BEGC-131 INDIVIDUAL AND SOCIETY
Solved Assignment 2021-2022
INDIVIDUAL AND SOCIETY (BEGC 131)
Course Code: BEGC 131
Max. Marks: 100
BEGC-131 English Solved Assignment 2021-2022
|Service Type||Solved Assignment (Soft copy/PDF)|
|Semester||2021-2022 Course: BA(English)|
|Session||July 2021 and January 2022 Sessions|
|Short Name||BEGC-131 (ENGLISH)|
|Product||Assignment of BAG(English) 2021-2022 (IGNOU)|
|Submission Date||For June Examination 30th April
For December Examination 31stOctober
1. Read the following passage and answer the questions in your own words.
The climate of an area includes seasonal temperature and rainfall averages, and wind
patterns. Different places have different climates. A desert, for example, is referred to
as an arid climate because little water falls, as rain or snow, during the year. Other
types of climate include tropical climates, which are hot and humid, and temperate
climates, which have warm summers and cooler winters.
Climate change is the long-term alteration of temperature and typical weather patterns
in a place. Climate change may cause weather patterns to be less predictable. These
unexpected weather patterns can make it difficult to maintain and grow crops in
regions that rely on farming because expected temperature and rainfall levels can no
longer be relied on. Climate change has also been connected with other damaging
weather events such as more frequent and more intense hurricanes, floods, downpours,
and winter storms.
In polar regions, the warming global temperatures associated with climate change
have meant ice sheets and glaciers are melting at an accelerated rate from season to
season. This contributes to sea levels rising in different regions of the planet. Together
with expanding ocean waters due to rising temperatures, the resulting rise in sea level
has begun to damage coastlines as a result of increased flooding and erosion.
The cause of current climate change is largely human activity, like burning fossil
fuels, such as natural gas, oil, and coal. Burning these materials releases what are
called greenhouse gases into Earth’s atmosphere. There, these gases trap heat from
the sun’s rays inside the atmosphere causing Earth’s average temperature to rise. This
rise in the planet’s temperature is called global warming. The warming of the planet
impacts local and regional climates. Throughout Earth’s history, climate has
continually changed. When occurring naturally, this is a slow process that has taken
place over hundreds and thousands of years. The human influenced climate change
that is happening now is occurring at a much faster rate.
1. How does this passage explain the term ‘climate change’?
2. Explain any two effects of climate change on weather patterns.
3. What is the cause of current climate change?
4. What is global warming? How is it caused?
5. According to this passage, how is “human influenced climate change” different
from climate change that occurs naturally?
5 x 2=10
2. Make sentences of your own with the following words:
5 x 2= 10
1. Rewrite the following sentences as directed:
1. Several people _________ (fill in with the correct form of ‘be’) killed in
2. I think this ________ (fill in with the correct form of ‘be’) the most interesting
story I have ever read.
3. _______ your father work in this city? (complete with ‘do’ or ‘does’)
4. __________ the chief guest already arrived? (complete with has / have)
5. The teacher _________ (complete with have/has) advised me to read more
advanced books on the topic.
6. He ____ no English ( fill in with the correct form of speak).
7. Faith, it is __ , can move mountains. (fill in with the correct form of say).
8. Our country _____ rich in indigenous plants, trees and wildlife. (fill in with the
correct form of ‘be’) .
9. Every child in India has the right to ____ (correct form of educate )
10. You will ____ (lose/loose) your money if you are careless.
11. The new office building is under ________ (correct form of construct).
12. __________ I make the payment with my credit card? (can, might, would)
13. The doctors found it difficult to cope with so many __________ patients after the
accident (correct form of injure)
14. I never thought of _________ the desk in this corner. (fill in with the correct
form of place)
15. Gypsies lead a __________ life (correct form of wander). 15×1=15
2. Match the following words/phrases in section A with their meanings in section B
1. Allegory something that strongly attracts attention.
2. Promulgate very ancient
3. Forbearance famous or outstanding
4. Cynosure of all eyes announce something publicly and make it widely known
5. Restorative kindness and forgiveness towards a wrong-doer.
6. Cruise former
7. Biodiversity a pleasure trip on a ship or boat
8. Noteworthy making one feel strong and healthy again
9. Erstwhile existence of different kinds of plants and animals in a
10. Primeval a story in which the characters and actions have a
deeper level of meaning
10 x1 =10
1. You have been asked to speak to a group of school students on the topic:
“Joining hands to reduce air-pollution in our town.”
Write out the speech in about 300 words. 20
2. The Residents’ Association in your colony has been organizing several activities to
support the poor and the needy during the lockdown. Write a short report about
these activities (in around 250 words). 20
3. You would like to invite your friend to join your family while celebrating a festival.
Write a letter to him/her describing the festival and inviting him/her to join you to
BEGC-131, BEGC 131, BEGC131