ECO-03 IGNOU IMPORTANT QUESTION AND SELECTED QUESTIONS 2016 [ MANAGEMENT ]
IGNOU - ECO:3 (MANAGEMENT THEORY) Selected Questions and Study Plan for Upcoming Exam
BACHELOR'S DEGREE PROGRAMME
ELECTIVE COURSE: COMMERCE
ECO-3: MANAGEMENT THEORY STUDY PLAN FOR JUNE’ 2016 EXAM
Time: 2 hours
Maximum Marks: 50
TOTAL NUMBER OF QUESTIONS ASKED CAN BE 7 OR 9 AND YOU HAVE TO ATTEMPT ONLY 4 OR 5 QUESTIONS.
Introduction to Management (One Question expected)
1. Define the term ‘Management’. Explain its various functions.
2. Do you agree with the view that management is both science and an art? Discuss.
3. State the social responsibilities of management towards owners and the society.
4. What is scientific management? What are its principles?
5. Explain the merits and limitations of scientific management.
6. Write short notes on:
Ø Management vs Administration
Ø Modern theory of management
Ø Human behaviour approach of management
Ø Limitations of management principles
Planning (One Question expected) – Must Study
1. What is planning? Explain its importance and limitations.
2. Explain the essential principles of planning.
3. Explain the relation between planning and controlling.
Communication (One Question expected) – Must Study
1. Explain the importance of communication in an organisation.
2. What are the essential elements in communication process?
3. What are the barriers to effective communication? How communication is made effective?
Leadership (One Question expected) – Must study
1. Discuss briefly the importance of leadership in an organisation. Explain the concept of 'managerial grid' and its purpose.
2. What is leadership? Explain the qualities of an effective leader.
3. What do you mean by leadership style? Explain various leadership styles with suitable examples.
Controlling (One Question expected)
1. What are the characteristics of a good control system? "Planning without control is meaningless". Do you agree with the statement? Why?
2. Explain Budgetary control as a technique of Management control? Mention its features, advantages and limitations.
3. Explain Break even analysis as a technique of Management control? Mention its features, advantages and limitations.
4. What is controlling? What are its objectives and principles?
4. Write a brief note on
Ø Standard costing
Ø Span of Control
Organising (Two Questions expected) – Must Study
1. Explain the meaning and importance of departmentation. What are the factors taken into account while selecting a suitable basis of departmentation?
2. What do you mean by 'Functional Organisation? Explain its merits to demerits.
3. What do you understand by the term ‘Organization’? Explain briefly its characteristics and importance.
4. What are the barriers to effective delegation? Suggest various means of effective delegation. 5+7
5. Distinguish between formal and informal organisation. Describe their functions.
6. Write short notes on:
Ø Centralization Vs. Decentralization
Ø Relationship between Authority and responsibility
Ø Delegation and decentralisation
Ø Principles of Organisation
Ø Limitations of an organisation
Ø Line and Staff organisation
Motivation (One Question expected)
1. What do you mean by motivation? Do you feel that motivation helps in inspiring and encouraging employees to work willingly? Give your arguments. 3+9
2. Critically examine the Maslow theory of motivation.
3. Critically explain the Herzberg theory of motivation.
4. Write short notes on:
Ø Positive and Negative Motivation
Some other Important Questions (One Question expected) – Must study
1. Explain Internal and external source of recruitment. Which source of recruitment is best? Give suitable arguments.
2. What is directing? What are the features of directing? Explain the principles of directing.
3. What is supervision? Discuss the qualities of a good supervisor.
8. What is Co-ordination? What are the objectives of co-ordination? Also state the problems you are likely to face in coordination.
5. Explain briefly the management techniques available to an executive for achieving coordination.